I review books for some of the organisations which I'm a member of. I'm also happy to review books for other publications free of charge, on the proviso that I get to keep the book afterwards. Please contact me if you'd like me to review a particular text.
FLOSS UK Newsletter
Published quarterly until 2016, the FLOSS UK newsletter (previously UKUUG newsletter) is one of the publications which I regularly contributed to. I also edited the newsletter from August 2014 to May 2016.
- 21st Century C (March 2013)
- Agile Web Development with Rails (4th Ed.) (September 2011)
- Apache Cookbook (March 2008)
- Automating System Administration with Perl (September 2009)
- Beautiful Architecture (September 2009)
- Beautiful Code (December 2007)
- Black Hat Python (June 2015)
- Building Web Applications with Erlang (September 2012)
- Building Web Reputation Systems (June 2010)
- CakePHP Application Development (September 2008)
- Developing Large Scale Web Applications (June 2010)
- DocBook 5: The Definitive Guide (September 2010)
- Essential PHP Security (June 2006)
- GNU Make Book (June 2015)
- High Performance Browser Networking (December 2013)
- Intermediate Perl (December 2012)
- IPv6 Essentials, 3rd Ed. (September 2014)
- Java Pocket Guide (September 2008)
- Java Web Services: Up and Running, 2nd Ed. (December 2013)
- Learning Android (September 2011)
- Learning Perl, 6th Ed. (December 2011)
- Linux Networking Cookbook (March 2008)
- Masterminds of Programming (June 2009)
- Mining the Social Web (June 2011)
- MongoDB: The Definitive Guide (September 2013)
- PHP and Smarty on Large-Scale Web Development (December 2007)
- PostgreSQL Up and Running (December 2012)
- Programming Embedded Systems (March 2007)
- Rails for PHP Developers: Refining Web Applications (June 2008)
- REST In Practice (June 2011)
- Ruby on Rails: Up and Running (December 2006)
- Safe C++ (September 2012)
- Seven Concurrency Models in Seven Weeks (December 2014)
- Sustainable Energy – Without the Hot Air (December 2008)
- The ThoughtWorks Anthology: Essays on Software Technology and Innovation (June 2008)
- Twisted Network Programming Essentials (June 2013)
- Understanding and Using C Pointers (December 2014)
- Using Drupal (June 2009)
- Vagrant: Up and Running (September 2013)
- Version Control with Subversion (December 2008)
- UKUUG rebranding as FLOSS UK: Explanation of rebranding exercise carried out at UKUUG.
- OpenTech 2010: Review of the OpenTech 2010 conference.
- Open Tech 2008: Review of the OpenTech 2008 conference.
- UKUUG Spring Conference: Manchester: Review of the UKUUG Spring 2007 Conference (written with Roger Whittaker).